Sunday, August 4, 2013

Baldness project vs Malaria project

I was given a prompt about whether I should fund for baldness which would give me money or fund for malaria, a deadly disease killing off millions. Here goes nothing.

I might fund baldness, because I could become rich.  I could be a millionare, like Taylor Swift!  Actually, I won’t be like Taylor Swift, because she is a multi-millionare.  But still, I would make lots of money out of this, which I could spend on clothes, and expensive stuff.  I could buy as many Taylor Swift concert tickets as I wanted (I love Taylor Swift).  Maybe the baldness project won’t give me so much money, but I would still be rich!  Funding the baldness project will help me gain money that will help me buy things I want.
            I want that money, but, on the other hand, funding for malaria may save lives.  Funding the malaria project will not get me any money.  Although this is the case, I have enough money to survive, and being rich won’t solve all my problems.  Money is important, but people’s lives are more important than money.  If I help others survive malaria, I will be a better person by saving people’s lives.  If I fund for a baldness cure, I won’t save anyone’s lives, unless someone who was bald did suicide.  Some people might hate being bald, and they would really want hair.  They would want it so much, they would kill themselves! 
            Still, if I fund for malaria, a deadly disease, I could save lots more people than by helping stop baldness.  Not many bald people would do suicide, just because they wanted hair—only a few people would.  Many more people would die from malaria.  Malaria kills 1.2 million people each year on average.  That’s a lot more than 1 or 2 people who would die from baldness.  Funding malaria will help stop the large numbers of dead people each year.
            If someone killed themselves, because they were bald, that would have been their own decision.  People don’t choose if they want to die from malaria or not.  In fact, I bet that almost one hundred percent of people with malaria didn’t want to die.  People bald would kill themselves by choice, but people with malaria would die against their own will.
            If I fund for malaria, it might get sponsors.  The malaria project may get sponsors to help support them, if the malaria project gets popular.  If I fund the project, that would be one step closer to getting sponsors.  The sponsors will help fund money for the project.  They may even advertise the malaria project, so more people fund it.  Malaria will stop killing people, if the project gets enough funds.  This would save millions of people over the years!  I should fund the malaria project, because sponsors will help the malaria project, if it gets popular.

            I will fund for the malaria project, because funding for baldness may give me money, but won’t make me a better person; if I help save people’s lives by funding for malaria, I have become a better person.  Saving others is more important than making me rich and spoiled.  Maybe, in the future, I will fund for baldness.  As of now, the malaria is killing at least a million people each year, so I will fund to stop the big numbers of people dying from malaria.

No comments:

Post a Comment